Sunday, February 15, 2009

Self Boarding at Gwangwa

Right now there about 50+ female students living in the old school blocks within our school grounds. The girls are from all four Forms and each week there are more and more moving in. I've been told that soon there may be close to 100 residing within the two rooms!

It makes sense for them to be living at the school as many live very far away. As of now we do not have a feeding program at the school nor do we have rooms that are in my opinion fit to be lived in. The girls sleep on mats and blankets they've brought from home and many do not have mosquito nets or other things they need. They usually arrive with a suitcase full of their belongings and clothing for the term.

As I said we don't yet have a feeding program at my school so after classes the girls take turns finding vegetables or cooking foods they've brought from home the weekend before. Not only do they have to find the food they wish to cook but they also have to worry about acquiring firewood as well. They do all of their cooking behind the building in a small room which has been built for their use.

Nonetheless they're happy and they're safe, residing within the walls of Gwangwa. I know this because I spend many of my evenings chatting with them, sharing nsima and answering questions about their classes and other topics. After dinner, the majority of the girls spend their time studying in the classrooms, reviewing the day's lessons and working on any assignments they may have been given.

It's great that they're at the school. This means they're not at home cooking, cleaning, and taking care of their many brothers and sisters. They're not walking back and forth across long distances each and every day and they're not being approached or propositioned by the men they may pass on their way.

They're at school. They're studying. They're sharing. They're learning from one another and they're working together.

I'm glad they're at the school but the conditions are certainly less than ideal. Many Community Day Secondary Schools have been able to raise funds for dormitories and actual kitchens so the girls can worry less about how they're living and more about their studies. I'm looking into how I can help these girls get the things they need. I'll keep on keeping you informed.

I've also uploaded a few pictures of the girls and the rooms I've been describing so you can get a better for feel for what I've been talking about.

No comments: