Saturday, March 7, 2009

Last Weekend at Gwangwa

My students had the absolute best time last weekend! I was so happy for them. Our Saturday couldn’t possibly have been any better.

We started out the afternoon with football (soccer) and netball matches against Ntchisi Secondary School, a government boarding school at the Boma. They should probably have better teams than we do, but my students played so well, we ended up winning both games! Well, actually the netball game ended in a draw, but according to my girls this means that both teams won... they were so happy, how could I argue? The boys played great too and ended up winning their match two to one.

I wish I would have taken pictures Saturday at the game, so you could see how excited they all were. Many dressed up to show their supports and some cheered the ENTIRE time, running in circles around the fields. It was so much fun. Next time, I'll be sure to take pictures.

After the games, my students celebrated with a school dance!

Yes, high school dances are just as awkward and fun in Malawi as they are in America. There are those who sit along the wall as well as those who dance the entire time no matter what song is playing. We had a great time dancing and talking and listening to music. It was such good experience for my students to have, but exhausting! The dance lasted until 3am!! I couldn't handle this and left around 2am as they were still going strong!

I've included a few photos from the dance! Sorry if they're a bit dusty and hard to see, hopefully you'll still be able to get a sense of the great time my kids had!

No comments: