Thursday, December 11, 2008

Swearing In

Well here I am, an official United States Peace Corps volunteer, sitting quite anxiously in the PC transit house in Lilongwe just two days away from my final move to site. The past few days have been a little hectic, everything has happened so fast. It’s truly hard to believe that I’m finished with training. I do feel as if I’ve been worlds away from home, for quite a long time, but I’m still astonished by just how much time has passed.

On December 9th, 2008, I along with all 21 other members of my training class was officially sworn in as a PC Malawi volunteer. With open arms, we were each welcomed into the PC family by our Country Director, the US Ambassador to Malawi, current and past volunteers. I have to say, I think I understand that phrase a bit better now, the “PC family.” Indeed I do feel that I’ve become part of a family; part of a group of intelligent and dedicated people with shared interests, support, and strength. In addition to the PC Malawi volunteers and RPCVS (returned Peace Corps volunteers) in attendance, we were met by a dozen or so past volunteers from other countries. Their passion for development and work overseas has brought them into important jobs at the US embassy and NGOs across the continent.

I honestly do not think that I’ve ever been as proud of myself and of the people surrounding me as I was yesterday morning; as I still am today. Here we are 22 people of different backgrounds, different professional experiences, different family structures, different lives, all willing to dedicate ourselves to something most people will never do. We all have different reasons for pursuing the shared path we are taking, but yesterday it became clear to me that despite our differences we all share the same sense of dedication, compassion, willingness to try something new and want to make some kind of difference.

It’s an exciting and anxious time for all of us. We’re as ready as we will ever be to take on this task. We have the knowledge, the language skills, the patience, the courage and the passion to go forth into our schools and communities. I can’t speak for everyone, but for myself I know I’ve never been more sure or more scared of anything in my life. There’s so much potential for good work, for helping and understanding other people, and for my own self-growth.

By late Friday morning I’ll have been transported to my site, beginning the next two years of my life.

No comments: