December 20th, 2008
Today I took my first trip alone to the local market. Every Saturday a small market is held about a 45 minute walk away from my school. There are a few tiny shops open on this day as well as vendors selling clothes, shoes, chitenjes, vegetables, fruits, fried meats and potatoes, etc.
I had been to this market briefly last Saturday, but accompanied by my head teacher’s son and two junior high aged nieces. This time, however, I ventured out alone.
I’m becoming used to being stared at by everyone wherever I go. It’s a very strange feeling to know that absolutely everyone is watching you and wondering who you are, what you’re doing there and why.
Once at the market, I made my way through the staring faces and tried to speak with as many people as possible. I also successfully bought a new chitenje, tomatoes, onions, and bananas all at a normal and reasonable price. I was afraid that maybe I would be expected to pay more than someone else buying the same things, as it’s assumed that I have much more money to spend, but everything matched up to the prices that the girls had quoted for me the day before.
On my way to the market, I decided to walk rather than ride my bike so I could chat and meet people along my way. I passed several homes and small villages and was able to greet many people, crying and ecstatic children included.
Halfway through my walk, I came across two old women washing their hands, face, and feet in a very large puddle along the side of the path. They were short (clearly stunted), thin, and appeared to be very old, though I doubt they were much past 40. One of them also had a very large goiter on her neck, clearly deficient in food and nutrients.
They walked with me for the duration of my journey and we chatted about the market, the fields, the rains, etc. Clearly, this is how I will best learn Chichewa and more about Malawi, through small exchanges like this one each day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment