Since the rains have come, people have started making ridges in their fields and even planting their crops for the season. In fact, Mr. Kasiya’s maize has already sprouted. I’m getting a bit of a late start with my own garden, but am planning on taking time to plant and prepare my land once school is over next week.
I have found three places where my roof leaks, which is an improvement from last year. Also, I’m having some boys from school build me a new fence in order to stand up against the strong winds and force of the rain.
This morning since it was cool, rainy and above all else a Saturday, I woke up, ate a mango (I love mangoes) and laid back down to read in bed. I’m currently reading A People’s History of the United States, so I could have spent all day reading if not for the 8am visitor I received. I heard “Hello Madam. Hello Madam,” the call of one of my neighbor’s children. Reluctantly, I woke up and preparing to pass out a coloring book and bag of crayons, opened the door. Instead of wanting to play or color the little girl was telling me she wanted to start a fire. I didn’t really understand what she was asking from me, but I decided finally she was asking for matches in order to start a fire. I assumed that perhaps the matches at her house were left out in the rain the night before. So, I handed her a lighter and told her to give it to her mother.
As she left, I wondered whether or not she had ever seen a lighter or knew how to use one. After all, she certainly appeared to be surprised when I handed it to her. So, I wrapped a chitenje (cloth) around my waist to cover my pajama pants and went two houses down to see what was going on.
At the Mpandagouta home, I found five of my little neighbor friends trying to use the lighter. I realized then that their moms and dads were out, probably at their fields planting. They’d probably been there since the first break of daylight, maybe since 430am. The kids were hungry and trying to cook porridge. So I started their fire and went back about ten minutes later just to ensure that they were cooking their breakfast.
I love the rainy season, but I am reminded that its novelty will soon ware off. Life is harder when water and mud are everywhere. It is more difficult to travel, to cook and to stay healthy especially form waterborne and mosquito carried diseases.
However, despite these trials we are all very thankful that the rains have come and hope they will continue to water the fields. Those kids would not have had maize flour to make their porridge this morning, if not for the rains which watered their family’s fields at this time last year.
Here are a few photos which I’ve taken this week of Mbirizi, the boys fixing my fence, my neighbors and the girls who help me with housework.
Love and Good Thoughts.
Kelly
No comments:
Post a Comment