Monday, December 27, 2010

Christmas in the Village

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from Gwangwa CDSS!

This year I decided to spend my holiday in my village with my sitemates and neighbors. Of course Malawians celebrate Christmas, but it's not nearly as extravagant or exciting as it is in America. Regardless, I had a really nice time and enjoyed good food and good company throughout the day.

On Christmas morning, I listened to Christmas music on my ipod while the neighborhood kids played in my backyard. I also made pancakes and coffee for breakfast and enjoyed the sunshine out on my back porch. Later in the morning, I delivered some childrens books, which had been donated to Malawi, to the other teachers in the area. I felt a little silly and like a Santa Claus impersonator going from house to house with my bag of books, but I know that the kids and their parents certainly appreciated it.
In the afternoon, my sitemates Chris and Erin Murphy came over for a delicious Christmas meal. We cooked bean burgers, mashed potatoes and indulged ourselves with peanut m and ms and delicious brownies which Erin had made. It was so nice to have company and to have great friends to share the day with.
That evening, after the Murphys had left, I went over to my headteacher's home to drink fantas (soft-drinks) and continue enjoying the holiday. I found Mrs. Kangulu and two of the children at home and attempted to teach Prisca, my baby sister, the concept of "Cheers". It was a wonderful way to end a great day.
Today I am in Mzuzu, the largest city in Northern Malawi, preparing for a New Year's trip to Zanzibar, an island off the coast of Tanzania. I'm so excited for a vacation and will definitely keep you updated with pictures from my adventure!
I hope that you had a wonderful holiday!
Love and Good Thoughts,
Kelly Susan (Mrs. Kangulu), Prisca and me.
Prica posing for a snap!
Mike, the Kangulu's second son, and Prisca playing.
Mike and Prisca, this time with a Fanta.
Yum!

Cheers!

These are the Chaseas, my wonderful neighbors. They have three young daughters and a niece who stays with them. Occasionally my cat, Mbirizi, is a part of their family too when I'm out of town. Very glad they moved in this year!
Gule wam kulu chasing kids on Christmas.
Me and Mr. Six, the crazy old man who is usually drunk and completely harmelss. He's a favorite member of our community, well liked by students and teachers.
My favorite tree along the walk to my house.
My wonderful sitemates, Chris and Erin Murphy. They live about 8km away at a nearby school.
Coloring at Madam Kelly's house on Christmas morning.
Inside my house, notice my Christmas decorations which are scraps of old wrapping paper leftover from gifts my aunts sent me two years ago.
Mbirizi guarding the tin of homemade Christmas cookies my mom sent.
A really cool bug I found on Christmas Eve.


No comments: