Sunday, January 17, 2010

Second Year of School

My second year of school is underway. Although I missed the first few weeks while at home in America, the school year started off well and now that I am back my classes are in full swing.

This year my class load has changed a bit. I am currently teaching all four Forms of Physical Science, Biology for Forms 1 and 3, and Life Skills for Form 4. We are in dire need of another physical science teacher but are making do as best we can.

Enrollment at my school is even greater than it was last year. Our Form One class has just over 100 students, Form Two having 128, Form Three about 70, and Form Four 59. Having this many students is definitely a challenge with only eight teachers, but I am looking forward to working with all of them throughout the year. It’s funny how you adapt and become used to things, a year and a half ago I would have thought it impossible to teach a physical science lab to 128 students at once, and though it sure is difficult, it can be done!

I should also mention that we have received the results from the national Junior Certificate Examinations for our school. We had an amazing 70% pass rate, which may be part of the reason for our increase in enrollment. We’re still awaiting the results from the senior level and hopefully they will be just as good.
Gwangwa Girl's Club Football Match! The best part about this was that the boys even helped coach the girls!

No comments: