Sunday, January 31, 2010

GGC Arts and Crafts

One of my favorite after school activities over the last few months has been Gwangwa Girl's Club. Every Thursday between ten and thirty girls meet to listen to me talk about different topics like self-esteem, contraception, health, etc., participate in fun games and activities, watch movies, play soccer or just hang out.

This week we had a particularly fun meeting focused on expressing ourselves through art. Each girl was given a piece of paper, markers, stickers and magazines to use to create a poster that described them. I made my own as an example with my name and Chichewa and English words and pictures cut from magazines; pictures and words of things that are important to me or I feel describe my feelings or personality. The girls were really excited about this activity. We spent a few hours making our posters and sharing them with one another. Once finished, they immediately proudly hung their posters above their mats in their hostels. It was really fun and interesting to see how they expressed themselves when given materials and freedom to do what they want.

I haven't done too much with art projects thus far, but this has gotten me thinking of other crafts we can try. Jewelry making? Recycling paper? Knitting? I'll keep you posted!



1 comment:

bridgetwhoplaysfrenchhorn said...

how fun!

Maybe you could do a craft where they write and illustrate a children's book (aka, for someone much younger than them) and then put them in the library, or let them bring them home to their family. I loved doing that when I was their age...I made books for my brother all the time!

You could also do mobiles; this could also be a bit of a balance-science sort of lesson.

Keep up the good work - I love reading your updates!