Sunday, January 17, 2010

Home for the Holidays


It was absolutely wonderful to be home in America last month. I was able to see many friends and family members. I spent Christmas, New Year’s and all of the days before and between with people I love and for that I am very grateful.

I’m also grateful for the fact that I did not have to travel alone as one of my fellow volunteers, Alyssa, was traveling to Chicago (en route to Michigan) as well. We took three separate flights to arrive at our final destination and an additional three to come back to Malawi. On the way there we changed flights in Addis Ababa (Ehtiopia) and Frankfurt (Germany), each having very short layovers. In total we were in the air for just over 21 hours, but of course it was made longer by changing flights.

On our way back to Malawi, instead of flying through Frankfurt, we had a nine hour layover in London. Having such a long amount of time, we were able to leave the airport and explore the city. Carry-on luggage in hand, we saw many of the sites, took a few pictures, stopped for fish and chips, and decided we’d have to come back eventually for a longer visit. Below are a few pictures of our time in London; there are additional ones at the My Pictures link.

After London we had another stop in Ethiopia and finally arrived back home to Malawi, an exhausting amount of hours later. It feels nice to finally be home, back at Gwangwa after my travels.

Back to business, time to start my second year of teaching…

No comments: