Well... my next 15 days are jam packed with family, friends, shopping, pizza, chocolate, bad TV, etc. So I suppose before I become too enthralled in the pleasures which I will miss, I had better share a little more about my decision to join the Peace Corps and how everything has finally fallen into place.
I really began thinking about the Peace Corps last fall. At the time, I was considering graduate school programs to study public health. I had decided that I would like to spend my life making a difference for people through preventative health care, something that I believe is practical and absolutely important in our world. I started reading about graduate programs and became interested in those which included a Peace Corps service opportunity after a year or two of graduate study. I began thinking these Master's International programs could be right for me and further investigated the Peace Corps, which I knew so little about. As I searched for more information, I discovered professors and friends of friends who had served or were serving abroad. I was delighted to find that many of these people were extremely willing to spend some of their time with me, sharing their thoughts and experiences. Later in the semester, I finally decided that I would get the most out of a Peace Corps service experience and would be best prepared to leave for 27 months, after graduation and not after two years of graduate school. I really believe that in living and learning abroad for so long, I will come back as open minded and as best prepared for graduate school and for my future as ever I could possibly be.
So in December of 2007 I sent in my application, including a few recommendation letters which I am very grateful to Kathy Cavins, Abby Sullivan, and my bosses at the Community Cancer Center for submitting on my behalf. I interviewed on IWU's campus in February of 2008 with my Peace Corps recruiter, who was extremely helpful in preparing me for the Peace Corps and answering the questions which I had at that time. Shortly after my interview, I received a call about placement in a West African, french speaking country where I would likely be teaching. This program would be leaving in early July, which was not quite what I was hoping for or expected, but I accepted nonetheless.
Once I had decided to serve, the mounds of dreaded paperwork for medical, dental, and legal clearances soon began to flood my mailbox. If you're reading this because you're interested in filling out a Peace Corps application... here's a piece of advice that I hope you take with you. Make sure that you make all of your medical and dental appointments as soon as you possibly can, this includes any sort of followup appointments or treatments or anything you may possibly need. I say this because I ended up having some issues with my own medical clearance and even though I did make my appointments as soon a possible there were still a few issues with paperwork, etc. which ultimately delayed my departure date. So it's very important that you take care of everything as thoroughly as possible and that you stay optimistic, even when you're not hearing exactly what you expected or wanted to hear.
Back to my story, so once I received my final letter informing me that I had been cleared for service in every possible way, I waited to hear about my official placement and to receive my official invitation. And I waited. And I waited. And I waited. Then I didn't get a summer job, all of my friends started working, and I waited some more. FINALLY, I received a phone call thanking me for being patient and flexible (my two favorite characteristics of a good Peace Corps volunteer) and was informed that my invitation was in the mail. On Saturday, July 5th, 2008 I received my invitation and assignment as a Secondary Education Volunteer in Malawi. I immediately called Monday morning to accept and have been receiving updates and information on my future life in Malawi ever since!
My volunteer description tells me that I will be teaching science (biology or physics), math, or english to classrooms of rural Malawians between the ages of 12 and 20 years old. The national exams which I will be preparing them for are given in English as it is the official language of Malawi, however, I will also be learning to communicate in Chichewa the more common, national language. I am preparing myself to teach in a conservative classroom, in long skirts and closed toed shoes. I'll be living in a hut attached to or next to my school, most likely without the luxuries of electricity and running water. I'm looking forward to learning about the needs of my future community and helping them in whatever ways I can. Maybe by pursuing my interests in public health and health education, maybe by writing home for supplies or support; I'm not sure yet, but whatever I discover, I'll be sure to keep you informed.
Before I get to my teaching post I'll be spending the first 3 months with a Malawian family to become accustomed to their language and culture. Throughout this time, I'll also be busy with Peace Corps training alongside my fellow volunteers. I'll be doing a teaching internship as a part of my training, which I hope to be very helpful as I've never really taught before and am sure even if I had would find teaching in Malawi a bit different from in the US.
It's all beginning to be a bit overwhelming! I wouldn't say that I am nervous quite yet, but I'm definitely excited and eager to find out what the next 27 months will bring. Of course I am sad to be leaving and saying my goodbyes to everyone, but I cannot find words to express how wonderful and reassuring it has been to be giving out my future address and very long hugs to my very supportive family and friends. Also I'm finally beginning to figure out how I will fit the next 27 months of my life into two bags, whose dimensions together cannot exceed 107 inches and combined weight must be under 80 lbs!!! I'll be sure to post a packing list, when and if I ever overcome this obstacle!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
80 pounds of gronola bars!
I'll be sending you a super fun care package as soon as I can!
Post a Comment