Thursday, May 12, 2011

Farewell Visits











For the past month I have been walking and riding my bicycle throughout my village and surrounding area, visiting the homes of families I have known for the past two and a half years. It's been a bittersweet process, talking about leaving Malawi for good and discussing my life in America. I've been asked tons of questions such as: Will you ever ocme back to Malawi? What is your favorite thing about Malawi? What have you learned? What will you teach people in America about Malawi? All questions that I'm sure I'll be answering at home as well.

Also as I'm sure I have mentioned before, I cannot begin to describe the generosity of Malawian villagers. At every home I have visited inlcuding that of my Group Village Headman, teachers, Peace Corps Staff and student's families, I have been warmly welcomed by a large group of people, served unbelievable amounts of food, and in most cases given gifts such as chickens, pumpkins or potatoes to take back home with me.

I will really miss my friends and family here in Malawi and I am comforted by the love and respect they have shown me not only this month but for my entire three years here.
Enjoy some pictures from my farewell tour!















1 comment:

The Imp of the Perverse said...

Dear Kelly,
As you leave behind what looks to be a wonderful life in Malawi, I wonder if you might spare thoughts for someone supporting a loved one about to take that first step into Malawi next month? I'm excited, and terrified, about what the next 27 months will require from the both of us, and knowing what I'll never be able to understand, it helps if I could chat with you about what looks like an incredibly moving and life-changing experience. If you're willing to correspond, I'd love to hear from you and ask questions if that's okay! My e-mail address is paul.mitchell@ou.edu. Thank you!
Paul