Monday, April 18, 2011

Camp STAR 2011

We did it! With the help of many Peace Corps Volunteers, my headteacher and I were able to pull off a third Camp STAT at Gwangwa CDSS. The 5 day science mini-camp had the same basic structure as last year's camp, slightly modified form the first one in 2009. PCVs from throughout the country brought their students and I invited my own as well as students from neighboring schools in my district. The kids had a great time and learned a lot. Topics included: titrations, genetics and evolution, linear programming, biology practicals, CV writing and interviewing, organic chemistry, electricity, computers, pendulums, reproduction and HIV/AIDs, geometric figures and coordination. Afternoon and evening activities included a Romeo and Juliet video show, tree grafting, a stove efficiency experiment, Jeopardy, a goat dissection, variety show and of course a disco! It was a tiring week but in the end I think we are all glad to have accomplished so much for our students! I'm especially grateful to all of the PCVs who gave up a week of their holiday to help teach, run labs, run errand or just hangout for the week. Here are some pictures of camp fun!
























No comments: