Thursday, February 17, 2011

Mid Term

Hard to believe that Term Two is halfway over already. It has been one of my busiest terms yet and filled with a lot of teaching! This term I'm teaching physical science for all forms, biology for forms two and four and my favorite class, computers studies in form three.



Now that I'm actually working with the kids in the computer lab, it's been truly enjoyable for all of us. We start every lesson by typing a few sentences of microsoft word; usually I aske them to type about themselves or their goals. Next, we open up microsoft paint to practice using the mouse by drawing pictures and writing our names. This is important becaus emy kids have never used computers before and handling the mouse has been an especially difficult skill for them to master. Nevertheless, they keep on getting better and better each week.



Girls Club has been going well, we've been meeting regularly each week. Mostly we're just singing, dancing and learning a bit about different topics the girls choose each week. So far this term we've talked about goal setting, cooperation, study skills and how to run a small business. I'd like to take them on a field trip this term and will update you once I figure out where to go.



I planted a few fruit trees in my backyard a couple of weeks ago. Pretty exciting to think that years from now whoever is living in my house will have lemons, oranges, apples whenever they want! I enlisted the help of a few students for the work. Check out the pictures below.



The housing project is progressing slowly but surely. Materials are all gathers and we are hoping to continue building once the rains have stopped a bit. Go to the link on the righthand side of this page to learn more about the project and to help us make it happen by donating.



Speaking of rains, it has been pouring this month! Absolutely, house flooding, pouring! luckily, I've been in my tin-roofed house for a long time and know exactly where to put bowls to catch the rain and towels under the door.



I guess that's all for now. This weekend I'll be taking my kids to compete in boys football and girls netball competitions within the district. I've been training all week and this year, unlike any before, I am coaching in Chichewa. We I guess it's a combination Chichewa-English. For instance, today I found myself yelling "Khalani Serious!" when one of the girls was gooding off instead of listening to the team captain during stretches. Literally khalani means "please be". Kind of a silly phrase, but it got the point across. I'll let you know how the matches go soon.



Love and Good Thoughts,

Kelly

No comments: