Sunday, May 9, 2010

Computers

Last October my headteacher and I submitted an application to a Non-Governmental Organisation call SchoolMalawi to receive a donation of old computers. Schoolnet takes computers from the UK and distributes them to schools throughout the country. Upon having an inspection and filling out lots of paperwork, we received ten computers complete with mouse, keyboard and monitor. We’ve turned the reading area of our library into a computer lab and starting next term I will be adding computer studies to my teaching load. This term I’ve spent some time working on teaching typing and basic computer skills to the other teachers.

We are so lucky to have these computers! Having an opportunity to learn how to type and use a computer is HUGE for my students and will really benefit them in the long run. Unfortunately there are only 10 computers and 360 students, so we’ve decided that only the top students will be allowed to attend computer class. It’s been a good motivator for students especially for the upcoming end of term exams. Here are a few pictures of my friend and fellow teacher Mr. Kasiya in the new computer lab.