Saturday, June 20, 2009

Camp STAR: Scientific Thinking Achieving Results

I’ve found that Peace Corps really loves acronyms, so we decided to call our upcoming science mini-camp Camp STAR: Scientific Thinking Achieving Results. It’s a bit lengthy of a title, I know, but I’m pretty sure we’ll be getting funding from a grant soon and the camp will hopefully be a success! We’ll be inviting fifty students from Ntchisi District, especially those who do not have laboratories or equipment at their school. We’ll cover chemistry lab, physics lab, electricity, genetics, plants, HIV and sexual health, human diseases and the human body. We’ll also have group activities including a career panel, tree planting demonstration, an MSCE (Malawi Secondary Certificate Examination) quiz bowl, and a viewing of Planet Earth!

Camp STAR is scheduled for the third week of term two break, August 10th-15th! I'll be sure to let you know how it goes and post pcitures when I have them!

No comments: