On the first day of school, I had my Form 3 English Class write me an essay (I know I'm one of those terrible teachers who gives an essay on the first day) telling me about themselves, their homes, their interests, their families, their goals, etc. I received many papers explaining to me (in broken English) conditions of poverty, life as an orphan and other daily problems. But each and every one also informed me (in broken English) of the importance of secondary school and of working hard in order to become nurses, soldiers, drivers, teachers, Members of Parliament, and even the President of Malawi some day.
I'm humbled by my students and what they are doing and hope to one day accomplish. I'm quite sure that I will learn as much, if not more, from them as they will from me.
As I noted above, my student's English skills are not very strong. Though they've been taught English since the last few years of primary school, it's very difficult for them as they haven't had enough practice and exposure to English in school and at home.
Unfortunately this means that many of them, especially those in Form 1 have a very difficult time understanding me. I'm trying to find ways to get around this as much as possible. I'm speaking very slowly in class and taking time to explain things as simply and thoroughly as I can. I've also let them know that they can ask me questions in both English and Chichewa after class. When possible I try to use some Chichewan words in the classroom as well.
Despite our difficulties in understanding one another, I have to say that I already really like my students and I know that I'm going to enjoy teaching them very much. They're all very eager to learn, listen, and participate in class. Even the female students who are fewer in number than males and typically much shyer, are becoming more and more comfortable each day to ask me questions both in and out of classroom.
As I begin to get a better feel for my classes and teaching, I'll be sure to post more thoughts and experiences as well as pictures of my students soon!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment