It was back to the college in Dedza for my group for about ten days this month for our language intensive and inter-service trainings. It was really nice to be able to see everyone from my group that I’d been missing for the past three months and to hear about all of the different experiences we’ve been having. It’s really true that each volunteer has an incredibly unique Peace Corps service. Though we have similar assignments and are working toward the same goals, we each face different challenges and deal with our situations in very different ways. As I said it was really great to share our experiences as well as to get new ideas from one another.
The first few days of training were completely focused on language. We were divided into small groups and assigned a trainer similar to as we had done in PST. I was in a group with Kelly O., Tim O. and Bryan which really worked out well for all of us.
After a few days of Chichewa basi (Chichewa that’s all), we began or inter-service training which was really helpful to all of us in a lot of ways. Each day we participated in sessions focusing on a variety of topics including evaluating and improving our teaching as well as creating opportunities for secondary projects in our schools and communities. We also began discussing our plans for CAMP SKY, an annual camp that is held after Term Three by PC Malawi Education volunteers for about 100 Malawian students. I’m sure you’ll be hearing more about this in future posts as we get further into the planning and fundraising efforts. Probably the most beneficial sessions in my opinion were those focused on secondary projects, specifically on how to raise funds and how to best initiate and manage projects in our schools and communities. I think I’ll be well prepared for returning to site to get things really going on a few key projects I’ve been thinking about for my school and I’ll keep you informed.
We also spent our Easter Sunday at the college, which was very low key and for me centered around eating Easter candy that had been sent to me in various packages. Thanks! :)
Similar to PST, as a group we spent a lot of our time playing cards, games, gorging ourselves on delicious college food, going on hikes and walks, listening to music at Ed’s Bar and just relaxing.
I’ve posted a few random pictures of us at the college as well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment